Theodor Steinkopff (May 26, 1870 – March 29, 1955) and Georg Springer founded the scientific publishing house Steinkopff & Springer in Dresden in 1898. A few years later, Steinkopff opened his own printing works (1908), the “Theodor Steinkopff-Verlag”, where he published the “Kolloid-Zeitschrift”, the “Kolloid-chemische Beihefte” and numerous books on colloid and interface research. The main interests of the new publishing house dealt with medical and scientific literature. In addition to these activities as editor and lecturer, Theodor Steinkopff was one of the founding members of the Kolloid-Gesellschaft, and he was also the managing director until 1945. For his excellent scientific work he received an honorary doctorate from the Technical University of Dresden, the “Laura R. Leonhard Prize” from the Kolloid-Gesellschaft (1940) and he was made an honorary member of this society.
The Kolloid-Gesellschaft can award the Steinkopff Prize to specialists for outstanding work in the industrial-technological application area of colloid, polymer or interface research, or also under environmental protection aspects. The award consists of a certificate and a medal.
Award winners since 1979
- 1979 Milan Schwuger, Düsseldorf
- 1993 Dušan Vučelić, Belgrad
- 1996 Dieter Horn, Ludwigshafen
- 1997 Enrico Borgarello, San Donato (IT)
- 2005 Wolfgang v. Rybinski, Düsseldorf
- 2009 Eckhard Schollmeyer, Krefeld
- 2013 Reinhard Strey, Köln
- 2017 Rainer H. Müller, Berlin
- 2019 Werner Kunz, Regensburg
- 2021 Joachim Venzmer, Essen
- 2022 Gero Decher, Straßbourg